Business & Technology

The business and technology education program is aligned with national standards and with post-secondary programs. Tech Prep college credit may be earned. The business, marketing, and technology education program focuses on the application of business and marketing practices through innovative technology and hands-on experiences that complement traditional classroom experiences. The principles are applied to real life and career problem-solving situations. Some courses are primarily pre-professional in nature (accounting and advertising and sales promotion); others are for developing proficiency for other courses at the high school and collegiate level.

Accounting I

Grades: 11, 12 This course will show you how your skills at solving puzzles and balancing your checkbook might lead you to a career in financial accounting! This course will also introduce you to the principles of double-entry accounting by showing you how to handle the accounting needs of a single proprietorship service business. You will gain the skills needed for a post-secondary study of accounting and an overview of how accounting is important to businesses.

Business Internship

Grade: 12 Prerequisite: Pre-approval of department.

This course will give you an opportunity to gain practical, on-the-job experience by spending part of your day in a real-world business.. This is an ideal course to “explore” the world of work and learn what it really takes to run a business. This course WILL require participation in activities outside of the regular school day. For more information see a department representative.

Career Exploration

Grades: 9, 10, 11, 12 Students will explore various career options using the Career Choices curriculum. Students will focus on creating future goals and exploring coursework and career paths that will best enable them to achieve these goals. Within this framework of exploring career options, students will learn a process of decision-making that can be applied to other aspects of their lives. The students will budget a lifestyle they would like to live in the future and see how much this lifestyle will cost and then create a more realistic budget for living on their own after graduation.

Computer Applications: Documents, Spreadsheets, & Presentations

Grades: 9, 10, 11, 12 Students will learn how to make schoolwork easier and results more professional. You will gain skills you’ll be able to use not only in school but in whatever career you choose to pursue! Students will learn to create professional-looking reports, spreadsheets, and presentations. This is a blended course for 11th and 12th grade students who are able to do the work outside of the classroom; 9th and 10th grade students will NOT be allowed to work outside the classroom during class hours. Face-to face time will vary by topic but commonly will be approximately 20-40% of the total time, with online/outside class work the other 60-80%. Any student who does not have the computer applications readily available at home may do the work in the classroom. In addition, any student needing assistance with any of the technology may come in to class whenever extra guidance is needed.

Introduction to Business

Grades: 11, 12 Students learn about the major activities associated with operating a business, including marketing, finance, management, operations, and human resources. Students will learn basic concepts and terminology associated with business, compete with classmates through a business simulation, and develop a business plan. This is a blended class that will combine in-class teaching and formal assessments with online materials that will be available for those students who are able to learn independently. Typically, about 20% of the material will be delivered face-to-face with the other 80% available online.

Medical Careers

Grade: 11, 12 This course offers students the opportunity to learn about a variety of medial careers that may interest them in a future medical career. While enrolled in the class you will learn about legal & ethical responsibilities, health careers, and job seeking skills. *Course is articulated with MN State Southeast for college credit.

Personal Business Law

Grades: 10, 11, 12 Offered alternate years. Offered in 2018.

This course will show you how your inquiring mind and ability to express opinions and make logical arguments could help you in a career based on the law. Not only will you learn about personal decisions with legal implications but you will also get a solid introduction to the concepts of business law, including the kinds of law, civil and criminal cases, consumer protection, contract law, employee-employer relationships, checks, promissory notes, bankruptcy, and repossessions. You’ll even take part in a mock trial!

Personal Finance/Financial Literacy

Grades: 10, 11, 12 Whether pursuing further education or entering the work force, after completing high school, most students begin independent living and become responsible for managing their finances. In this course, students will master skills they will need for the rest of their lives to handle their personal finances responsibly and with financial literacy. Students will learn about personal budgets, checks, debit cards, credit, savings, investments, taxes, buying decisions, mortgages, loans, consumer rights, financial risk, and identity theft.

Programming

Introduction to Programming

Grades: 10, 11, 12 Offered alternate years. Offered in 2017.

This course will introduce you to computer programming concepts and show you how to create programs in Visual Basic. Students will learn the history of computers and the Internet, as well as basic design and programming techniques. You will learn step by-step how to create your own programs - without the need for a lot of math background.

Introduction to Game Programming

Grades: 9, 10, 11, 12 Students will learn basic fundamentals of computer programming using examples that are games and gaming-oriented. Students do not need any prior experience with programming or any special math skills.

Sports & Entertainment Marketing

Grades: 11, 12 This course will help you find out if you are interested in a career in marketing, especially in the exciting fields of sports and entertainment! Students will explore the basic marketing functions and marketing mix: product, price, place, and promotion. Most of the real-world examples will focus on the sports and entertainment world. You will explore concepts like target markets, advertising, publicity, placement, branding, licensing, sponsorship, and endorsement. This is a blended course that will combine in-class teaching and formal assessments with online materials that will be available for those students who are able to learn independently. Typically, about 60% of the material will be delivered face-to-face with the other 40% available online.

Touch Typing & Document Production

Grade: 9, 10, 11, 12 This course (formerly Keyboarding 1)will focus on computer skills needed for rigorous academic work. The following areas will be covered in the course: efficient use of the keyboard with effective keyboarding techniques (touch typing); knowledge of how to use Microsoft Word to develop formal letters, create tables, format outlines and produce research reports. Students will learn document processing skills relative to post-secondary education and employability skills. Students will also learn the valuable skill of proofreading.

Video Production & Technology

Grades: 11, 12 The course is designed to give students a basic understanding of video technologies and their applications. Areas of instruction will include camera operation, audio recording, composing, writing for video, writing for HAWKNOW.org (the online school blog) and video editing. Students will use class time to learn and polish video production techniques by creating different projects with some being posted to the blog. Students will also learn communication skills by producing television segments, PSAs, videos, and posting content onto HAWKNOW, etc. Both individual and group work is involved in putting together specially assigned projects.

Web Page Design

Grades: 9, 10, 11, 12 This course will show you how to use the Internet more effectively and to create your own web pages with pizzazz and animation. Students will learn to analyze websites and their uses and limitations. You will use HTML, cascading style sheets (CSS) and JaveScript to develop a variety of web pages and acquire skills to allow you to design and create websites for fun and for profit.

Workplace Skills (REACH)

Grade: 11 This course is for students in the REACH program. This Course is for students who expect to join the workforce upon graduation AND for students who want to acquire the soft skills that will be needed for successful future employability. The course is ARTICULATED with Minnesota State College Southeast, so students can potentially acquire 1 credit from WSHS plus up to 2 credits from Minnesota State College Southeast.

Rhonda Aspenson

Business Education Teacher
Winona Senior High School