School Closure Updates
UPDATE: On March 25, Gov. Tim Walz announced that all schools in Minnesota, including Winona Area Public Schools, will remain closed through Monday, May 4 as part of the state’s response to the coronavirus pandemic. During this time, all activities, events and facility rentals are canceled or postponed. Because of the governor’s executive order, all school buildings and the district office will be closed through Monday, May 4.
However, daily instruction will resume. For the past two weeks, teachers and staff have been preparing to institute distance learning plans at each grade level, and those lessons will begin Tuesday, March 31. Monday, March 30 will remain a staff workshop day.
We are still in the process of finalizing these plans. Once we do, they will be posted on winonaschools.org by the end of the day on Friday, March 30. If you do not have access to the internet, you can request a printed packet by calling the district office at 507-494-0861. While the buildings will be closed, emails and voicemails will be checked regularly.
- STUDENT MEALS: WAPS will provide student meals throughout the length of the closure. Beginning Monday, March 23, we can deliver these meals to bus stops throughout the district in addition to a handful of walk-up sites. See this link for more information.
- CHILD CARE: WAPS is also providing child care for workers classified by the state as essential. Click here for information on that program. Please note that we need two business days to set up child care services.
- Where can I pick up meals during the school closure?
- Will child care be provided during the school closure?
- What are WAPS staff members doing during the school closure?
- What is distance learning?
- When will distance learning begin for WAPS students?
- What does our family need for distance learning?
- What if I don’t have technology at home?
- What if my student left their belongings at school?
- What is COVID-19?
- What about athletics, co-curricular activities, Community Ed classes and other events?
- What actions should we take to protect our family?
Communication sent to WAPS families and staff
- Wednesday, March 25, 2020
- Thursday, March 19, 2020 (student belonging pick-up)
- Thursday, March 19, 2020 (bus delivered meals)
- Wednesday, March 18, 2020
- Monday, March 16, 2020
- Sunday, March 15, 2020
- Friday, March 13, 2020
- Thursday, March 12, 2020
- Friday, March 6, 2020
- Friday, Feb. 28, 2020
Resources from the Minnesota Department of Health
Resources from the Centers for Disease Control
- Information for K-12 schools and childcare providers
- Travel Health Notices
- Get Your Household Ready
- Frequently asked questions
Resources from Winona Health
Other resources for better understanding of COVID-19
- Mayo Clinic COVID-19 Special Report
- World Health Organization: Video on understanding the novel coronavirus
Resources for discussing the coronavirus with your children
- NPR: A comic for kids explaining the new coronavirus
- Helping children cope with anxiety about the risk of infection
- New York Times: Talking to teens and tweens about the coronavirus
- BrainPOP: A video for kids on the coronavirus