Hello families —
We are beyond excited to welcome our students in kindergarten and first grade back into our school buildings on Monday. It feels like the first day of school all over again.
Since it has been a couple of months since the sounds of laughter and learning have filled our classrooms and hallways — and the Minnesota Department of Education has changed some of its guidance from the beginning of the year — we want to make sure we are all on the same page before we officially make the switch to the in-person learning model.
- The in-person learning model consists of everyone attending school five days a week. There are no more hybrid groups. Some students will remain in distance learning by choice.
- We ask that you drop off your student as close to 7:35 a.m. as possible, and students must report directly to their classroom. Students will not be allowed in the buildings before 7:15 a.m.
- The pick-up and drop-off locations will remain the same as they did earlier in the year. If you forgot where your location is, please contact your teacher or building principal.
- Students should bring their own water bottle, and must have a change of clothes as well as proper winter gear to have recess and possibly physical education outside.
- Students will still be required to wear masks while in the building, even for physical education classes held indoors. Meals will be served in the classroom.
- School meals (breakfast and lunch) will continue to be free. A message about meals was sent out earlier today.
- Classrooms at Jefferson and W-K will have an air purifier. The district has also purchased a UV light for additional cleaning.
- Isolation room procedures will remain the same. If students have one of the more common symptoms of COVID-19 (such as a fever, cough, difficulty breathing or loss of taste/smell) or two of the less common symptoms (sore throat, nausea, chills, muscle pain, etc.), they will be sent to the isolation room and you will be asked to pick up your student immediately. A complete list of the symptoms can be found in the COVID-19 Decision Tree linked here.
- Visitors will be extremely limited.
- You can review our complete in-person learning plans here.
If you have any additional questions, please reach out to your teacher or building principal. We realize this shift will be an adjustment for all of us, so we encourage you to keep us updated on your needs not just for your student, but for your family.
Elementary Principals of Winona Area Public Schools
Emily Cassellius, Goodview
Maggie Maine, Jefferson
Dawn Waller Lueck, Washington-Kosciusko