- What is accepted as a verification of childs birth?
- What is the age requirement for kindergarten?
- Is there all day kindergarten in the Winona Area Public Schools?
- Is there child care at school?
- Can my child be transported by a school bus?
- Can school bus transportation be arranged from my child's day care location? What if my day care is in another attendance area than where I live?
- May I enroll my child in a WAPS school outside our attendance area?
- I applied for the Spanish Language Immersion Program, do I still need to register online to WAPS?
- Does my child need to participate in Early Childhood Screening?
- What if I have problems using the online registration system?
According to MN State Statute, a person shall not be admitted to a public school as a kindergarten pupil, unless the pupil is at least five years of age on September 1 of the calendar year in the school year for which the pupil seeks admission commences. (120A.20, MN Statutes 2007). So for the coming school year, your student must be 5 by 9/1/2019.
Yes, Winona Area Public Schools Community Education administers a school-age child care program known as Key Kids. Keys Kids offers child care after school, as well as on workshop, no school and snow days. Summer Key Kids continues quality child care during the summer months. Check out Key Kids!
Transportation can be arranged from your day care facility to your attendance area school as long as it is a mile or more from school. This request must be consistent every day; pick up and drop off must be at the same location within the attendance area of the student.
School bus transportation is not provided outside of a student’s attendance area - EXCEPT for students attending the Spanish Immersion program at Jefferson Elementary.
At this time, families are able to request to open enroll their child in a school outside of their attendance area. This request is granted provided building capacity/class size will accommodate the request. Please discuss this process with the principal and secretary from your attendance area school during Kindergarten Registration or by contacting the school.
Please note that school bus transportation is not provided if you choose to send your child to a Winona Area Public Schools elementary school outside of your attendance area – EXCEPT for students attending the Spanish Immersion Program.
Yes, participation is mandatory for children entering a public school kindergarten. Screening is a quick and simple review of how a child is growing and developing. Early Childhood Screening is free!