Ríos Spanish Immersion Program
Ríos is growing!
In response to record interest in the Ríos Spanish Immersion program, Winona Area Public Schools plans to add a second kindergarten section for the 2022-23 school year. There are spots available, but they are filling up fast. Those who are interested are asked to call Jefferson Elementary at 507-494-2000, email Principal Maggie Maine at email@example.com or fill out the form below.
The goal of Ríos Spanish Immersion program is to provide educational experiences, beginning in kindergarten and sustained through Grade 12, that support academic and linguistic development in Spanish and English. Students will also develop an appreciation of other cultures in addition to their own.
Features of the Program
- Students will become proficient listeners, speakers, writers, and readers in both Spanish and English.
- It is the only language immersion program in Winona County.
- Students will master content in the same subject areas as their counterparts who do not attend the program.
- Students will participate in art, music, and physical education taught in English in Grades K-2. Additional subjects will be taught in English as students progress through the program.
Interested parties must apply for entrance into the program.
All Winona Area Public Schools offer the same rigorous core curriculum in reading, writing, math, science, and social studies. Immersion students will study the same core curriculum and Minnesota academic standards which connect subject areas.
AMITY Intern Program
The Ríos Spanish Immersion program plays host to international interns from Spanish speaking countries each year. This program exposes students at Jefferson Elementary, Winona Middle School and around Winona Area Public Schools and the community to other cultures and accents from around the world.
This program depends on families to host these international visitors.
Do you have a spare room in your house? Would you like to learn about another culture and language?
We are looking for homestays that could last 3-5 months. You do not need to be a district family. Anyone in the Winona community who wants to enrich their lives can host.
We cherished the relationships we built. We still communicate with one of our interns weekly. My son loved having them around."
— Feedback from a host family parent
- Families host Spanish Immersion interns (Winona Post, March 2, 2020)
- WAPS Ríos Spanish Immersion program receives record number of applicants (Winona Daily News, May 7, 2019)
- WSU class creates books for Rios Spanish Immersion program (Dec. 17, 2018)
- (From 2018) Rios Spanish Immersion program enters fifth year (Winona Post, Oct. 24, 2018)
- Gustavo Boada visits Spanish immersion students (Winona Daily News, Feb. 22, 2018)