Ríos Spanish Immersion Program
The application window for the 2021-22 Ríos Spanish Immersion program kindergarten class will open in February 2021. Please come back to this page for more information.
The goal of Ríos Spanish Immersion program is to provide educational experiences, beginning in kindergarten and sustained through Grade 12, that support academic and linguistic development in two languages and that develop students’ appreciation of their own and other cultures.
Features of the Program
• Students will become proficient Spanish listeners, speakers, writers, and readers
• Students will master content in the same subject areas as their counterparts who do not attend the program
• Students will participate in art, music, and physical education taught in English
Interested parties must apply for entrance into the program. The application window for the 2020-2021 school year is from Feb. 3 to March 2, 2020.
All Winona Area Public Schools offer the same rigorous core curriculum in reading, writing, math, science, and social studies. Immersion students will study the same core curriculum and Minnesota academic standards which connects subject areas.
AMITY Intern Program
The Ríos Spanish Immersion program plays host to international interns from Spanish speaking countries each year. This program exposes students at Jefferson Elementary, Winona Middle School and around Winona Area Public Schools and the community to other cultures and accents from around the world.
This program depends on families to host these international visitors.
Do you have a spare room in your house? Would you like to learn about another culture and language?
We are looking for homestays that could last 3-5 months. You do not need to be a district family. Anyone in the Winona community who wants to enrich their lives can host.
We cherished the relationships we built. We still communicate with one of our interns weekly. My son loved having them around."
— Feedback from a host family parent
- Families host Spanish Immersion interns (Winona Post, March 2, 2020)
- WAPS Ríos Spanish Immersion program receives record number of applicants (Winona Daily News, May 7, 2019)
- WSU class creates books for Rios Spanish Immersion program (Dec. 17, 2018)
- (From 2018) Rios Spanish Immersion program enters fifth year (Winona Post, Oct. 24, 2018)
- Gustavo Boada visits Spanish immersion students (Winona Daily News, Feb. 22, 2018)