Summer meal program in 2021
Winona Area Public Schools will continue to offer free meals to all students in Winona ages 18 and under through the summer of 2021. Free meal packs, which include that day's breakfast and the following day's lunch, will be handed out at the following locations around town:
- Bob Welch Aquatic Center (Summer Lunch Bus site), 780 W. Fourth St., 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
- Goodview Elementary, 5100 Ninth St., Goodview, noon (no meals on Fridays)
- Winona Middle School, 1570 Homer Road, noon
- Winona Area Learning Center, 1299 W. Third St., 11:30 a.m.
- St. Stanislaus Elementary, 602 E. Fifth St., 11:30 a.m. (outdoors, no meals on Fridays)
In addition, WAPS will offer a five-day meal pack to pick up at Winona Senior High School, 901 Gilmore Ave., from 4:30-6:30 p.m. on Wednesdays beginning June 16. Families interested in this option will need to fill out the form linked here. Meals will need to be ordered a full week before the pick-up (so, by Wednesday, June 9 for a Wednesday, June 16 pickup) so an accurate milk order can be submitted.
There is no sign-up required for the daily meals.
As Winona Area Public Schools teachers, administrators and staff were preparing for the possibility of distance learning in March of 2020, the School Nutrition staff was hard at work figuring out how to make sure no student went hungry because of school closures.
On March 18, 2020, the first free meal packs were distributed at several sites around the community, just two days after schools were closed.
In the year since, the School Nutrition staff handed out 402,971 free meals to all students aged 18 and under in Winona, regardless if they attend a WAPS school or not.