Welcome to Winona Area Public Schools | District 861
One community of lifelong learners, engaged in creating our culture, where all are safe, valued and accountable to one another for success.
Expect excellence, grounded in compassion, to meet the needs of all learners.
- Excellence: Be my best and expect the best of others
- Kindness: Concern, compassion, and advocacy for others
- Respect: Acceptance of self and others as we work together
- Honesty: Say and do the right thing, even if no one is watching
- Responsibility: Do my part and be accountable for what I say and do
Making the Grade is aired on HBC Channel 25 | Monday-Saturday at 7:00 am - 6:30 pm
December 2018: Superintendent Mr. Rich Dahman highlights next steps for the bond referendum and talks with Winona Teacher of the Year Mrs. Theresa Pearson.
November 2018: Superintendent Rich Dahman interviews WSHS W Club and WSHS Drama Club.
October 2018: Superintendent Rich Dahman and Sarah Slaby, WAPS Fiscal Affairs Director cover the Bond Referendum 2018. Rich welcomes Tammie Townzen, WAPS Transportation Coordinator.
September 2018: Superintendent Rich Dahman highlights 17-18 accomplishments and talks about 18-19 goals. Rich also introduces new Director of Learning & Teaching and Director of Special Education.
June 2018: Superintendent Rich Dahman speaks with graduating seniors about their future plans upon graduation.
May 2018: Superintendent Rich talks with Patti Darbo about Work Experience Program and Mark Anderson discusses school safety.
April 2018: Superintendent Rich talks with Tech Nest student Ethan Larson and Technology Integration Specialist, Jeremy Graves. Second sessions we meet kindergarten teacher Mr. Norman and principal Mrs. Eisner. They catch us up on where students should be when they enter kindergarten and the skills they learn by the time they move to 1st grade.
March 2018: Superintendent Rich talks with WMS Assistant Principal Jolene Danca and WMS Math Teacher Amber Mlynczak talk about Winona Middle School and their AVID program. WMS Drama Director, Jerry Goodwin and WSHS Drama Director, Erin Zoromski highlight their first year at WAPS and talk about upcoming and past performances.
February 2018: Kindergarten teachers visits about upcoming Kindergarten registration and
Superintendent Rich Dahman provides a midyear update for WAPS.
January 2018: WAPS Superintendent Rich Dahman visits with Luke Merchlewitz and Shelly Milek of the Foundation for Winona Area Public Schools; and Winona Area Learning Center assistant principal Andrew Cappel and WALC counselor Samantha Wagner.
December 2017: WAPS Superintendent Richard Dahman talks with Stephanie Gilliland and Kelli Kronebusch about Voluntary PreK program, and WSHS National Honor Society member Jade Joswick and NHS Advisor Sarah Dixen.
November 2017: WAPS Superintendent Richard Dahman talks with W-K principal Dawn Waller-Lueck and Kelly Halvorsen, and Goodview Elementary teachers about their new "Makerspace".
October 2017: HBC TV 25's Dave Dicke talks with new WAPS Superintendent Richard Dahman.
Inside Your Schools
Winona Area Public Schools distributes a community newsletter call "Inside Your School" three times a year. This newsletter is delivered to all residents and provides an inside scoop of our schools and presents challenges and celebrations.
For questions, comments, suggestions for articles, please contact Inside Your Schools Editor.
School start times and bus pickups will be two hours after regularly scheduled time.
- Key Kids will provide care for families enrolled in snow care. Students will be bussed from the Central site to their schools.
- Breakfast will be served at the Winona Senior High School but will not be served at Winona Middle School, Winona Area Learning Center or any of our elementary schools.
- Morning and afternoon preschool is canceled at Goodview along with morning preschool at Rollingstone.
- ECFE classes scheduled before 10:00 a.m. will be canceled. Any classes that begin at 10:00 a.m. or later will go on as scheduled.
- Adult Literacy classes will be held as scheduled. Adult Enrichment, Project COMPASS and After School Activities will go as scheduled
- Key Kids will provide care at Winona Middle School on full snow days for families enrolled for snow care. Care will be provided at the Middle School, 1570 Homer Road.
- District-sponsored events/programs are canceled, including:
- K-12 events
- Athletic events
- Co-curricular events
- Miller Mentoring Program
- Community Education events/classes, including ECFE, preschools, Adult Literacy, GED Testing, Adult Enrichment, Project COMPASS, After School Activities, etc.
- Many of the school district’s administration offices are open regardless of the weather. Call specific office for more information.
WAPS has a district-wide notification system (Campus Messenger), which is part of our Infinite Campus Student Information program. Campus Messenger provides the district with the ability to quickly send mass communication via phone, SMS text message, and e-mail. If you have children attending Winona Area Public Schools check to be sure your contact information is up-to-date in our system.
If you are a district parent and would like to sign up or have questions, please e-mail email@example.com with your question(s) or to request an activation key. The activation key will allow you to create your Campus parent portal account.
Tune in to area media stations (radio/TV) for the latest on any school closing information.