Free meals continue
Winona Area Public Schools will continue to offer free meals to all students in Winona ages 18 and under throughout the 2021-22 school year. More information will be posted.
Application for Educational Benefits
All Winona Area Public Schools families are being asked to fill out the Application for Educational Benefits, also known as the free and reduced lunch form.
Although breakfast and lunch will be provided free to all students in Winona Area Public Schools throughout the 2021-22 school year, it is still important for all district families to fill out the Application for Educational Benefits.
Why? Because filling out and returning the form can benefit both your family and all families in Winona Area Public Schools in the following ways:
- Increased funding for WAPS to ensure that students receive the support they need
- Reduced fees for sports and activities through WAPS
- Your family could qualify for the Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT), which is a federal temporary emergency benefit for families to purchase food
- Discounts on fees associated with applying for college, ACT/SAT testing and more
- Increased technology funds for WAPS to improve internet access and network services
It is more than just a meal application.
There are several ways for families to apply.
- Log into the Parent Portal on Infinite Campus. Once logged in, click on “More” on the left-hand side, then select “Meal Benefits” to complete the application.
- Print out and return the paper form linked here.
- Fill it out in-person at Winona Senior High School, 901 Gilmore Ave., Winona.
As Winona Area Public Schools teachers, administrators and staff were preparing for the possibility of distance learning in March of 2020, the School Nutrition staff was hard at work figuring out how to make sure no student went hungry because of school closures.
On March 18, 2020, the first free meal packs were distributed at several sites around the community, just two days after schools were closed.
In the year since, the School Nutrition staff handed out 402,971 free meals to all students aged 18 and under in Winona, regardless if they attend a WAPS school or not.